Saturday, April 6, 2013

April Reads

I'm in a decent reading groove at the moment, the last book I finished was Hilary Mantels Wolf Hall, which I loved, surprisingly for me. I had passed it by on the library shelf several times and one indecisive day decided enough was enough read that damn thing!  Turns out it's really good, living up to the hype and great reviews over the last few years.  I was left wanting more which is the true sign of a good read. Luckily there is a follow up which I hope to pick up soon but it's probably in high demand so may be a while before it turns up on the shelf in my local library.  This suits me however as it gives me a chance to change genre and next up and my current read is Mike Scott - Adventures of a Waterboy.  My boyfriend actually chose it as he was personally familiar with some of the characters but I was intrigued by the first page and commandeered it for myself. It is excellent and I'd recommend it to anyone even if you don't know Scott or the music his writing is excellent, covering much more than music and all that jazz.  However if you are familiar the music scene, characters and musicians I think you will love it. I had no idea what he was like and feel now that I've gotten a great insight into the psyche of a unique individual.  I'm looking forward now to delving into the music of the Waterboys and the sounds of the time.

Yesterday I picked up 3 more reads; The Scarlet Letter - another historical piece of literature I shall probably read next.  Then Precious based on the Novel Push by Sapphire - now I'm pretty sure this is a re-print of the original to tie in which the movie, I hope so and not a book based on the movie, if you know what I mean!  I haven't seen the film but I am aware it's a heavy and harrowing tale but I'm hoping to be able for that.  Finally I have Zadie Smith's On Beauty. I've heard lots about Zadie but never read a book by her before so this is my first meeting with her writing, hopefully it will be good.

Let me know if you've read any of these and what you thought? What are you reading right now?

I'll leave you with The Waterboys :)






No comments:

Post a Comment